Here’s my all time favourite and tried and tested a countless number of times, the recipe of Very Special Chicken Karhai by Shireen Anwer.
You can add or subtract spices as you want in this recipe and also make variations to suit your family needs and taste requirements.
Here’s what you will need:
Chicken 1 (cut in small 16 pieces)
Oil 1/2 cup
Ginger and garlic paste 2 tbsp
Tomatoes, chopped or pureed 5 – 6
Red Chili powder 2 tbsp
Black pepper ground 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Green chilies 5 -6 whole
Roasted and ground cumin seeds 1 tbsp
Kasoori methi 1 tsp
Graam Masala 1 tsp
Yogurt 2 tbsp
Fresh coriander leaves cut finely
WHAT YOU WILL DO TO MAKE SPECIAL CHICKEN KARHAI
- Heat oil in a wok and add ginger garlic paste. Stir fry and then add chicken into it.
- Fry for a few minutes on high until colour of chicken changes.
- Add tomatoes, chili powder and salt, mix them all well and let cook.
- After a few minutes, add yogurt, green whole chilies and remaining spices as mentioned above.
- Cover with lid and let cook on slow flame until water is dried up, chicken gets tender and a layer of oil comes on top.
- Sprinkle Ginger juveniles and fresh coriander leaves on top.
- Serve hot with tandoor or chapattis and raita.