Today, I have made this delightful dessert called the Mixed Fruit Trifle. It didn’t take long to make this as most of the ingredients were ready made purchased from the supermarket, except for the vanilla custard that I had to prepare especially for this. I am sharing with you the recipe here.
What you will need:
Sponge cake 3 slices
A tin of Fruit Cocktail 1/2
Whipped Cream 1/4 cup
Rafhan Crystal Jelly 1/2 packet (Pineapple Flavour)
Milk 1/2 litre
Sugar 2- 3 tbsp
Vanilla Custard Packet 1 pack (for 1/2 litre milk)
What you will do:
1. Take a cup or bowl or any tray you want to set your trifle in.
2. Cut the slices into small pieces and lay them at the bottom of the tray.
3. Open the tin and first with the help of the spoon, pour some juice from inside it over the cake to soften it. Next put some fruit over the cake too. See this picture, I have put cake crumbs in the bottom and layered it over with fruit chunks from the tin. 4. Cook custard and pour over the custard. To make custard, heat the milk in a pan with sugar as much desired and let it coil for at least 2 minutes. Stir the milk continuously. Dissolve custard powder from the packet into some of the milk and keep aside. Once milk boils, add the custard powder paste into it, stirring continuously to avoid any lumps. Cook for a few more minutes until desired consistency is achieved. Turn off the flame.
5. Pour the custard over the cake and fruit you have prepared in the bowl.
6. Make some Pineapple crystal jelly (I use Rafhan Crystal jelly packets that are available very easily in most parts of South Asia) and with a spoon, sprinkle some on top of the custard powder, enough to make one full layer of it. 7. Next, top it up with a layer of whipped cream. You can beat cream and thicken it and then create flowers over it with your icing gun if you want. ( I wanted to do that, but for that you must have chilled cream packet which I didn’t have any… so I just made a whole layer of cream on top)
8. I have sprinkled Hundreds and Thousands over it as my kids love them, you can decorate it as you desire. Top it up with cherries or pineapples or keep it plain! This particular dessert is well liked by people of all ages, its guaranteed. Children love it for its vibrant colours and attractive flavours. The best thing about this dessert is that you can use your own flavors and customize it to suit your needs! For instance, if you prefer strawberry, you can add chunks of strawberry over the cake and top it up with strawberry custard!
Do try out this simple recipe and let me know your feedback for it 🙂